From 6 months, when your baby starts to show signs that they might be ready to wean onto solid foods:
- Start simply with single savoury veg flavours and then veg combos
- Offer one taste, prepared 2 ways: as a puree (spoon-fed weaning) and softenned finger foods (baby-led weaning) at the same time. This is safe to do from 6 months providing finger foods are soft steamed and cut into thin easy to hold sticks
- To save time, consider batch cooking for the week or a few days to avoid cooking from scratch every mealtime. Prepare all at once, portion and store the leftovers in your fridge or freezer and take out as you need.
3 veg combo ideas and how to prepare:
We've started with 3 different veg combinations which are perfect first foods to try with your baby. You could prep just one or prep all 3 at the same time for multiple meals!
- Broccoli and Cauliflower
- Carrot and Sweet Potato
- Spiced Pear and Parsnip
Watch the recipe video:
Cook-along with our recipe video to see how we made these with the Nutribaby+ 5in1 food maker
The benefits of preparing with Nutribaby+ baby food maker
- Thanks to the all in one large steamer/ blender, you can prepare 2,3,4 different types of purees or meals at once
- Set the exact time you want your foods to steam cook on the Nutribaby+ timer to ensure optimal cooking to preserve the foods nutrients as bes possible
- Nutribaby's high quality blender has 3 speed options so you can adjust to smooth up to coarse textured purees as baby gets more confident
- Our unique cooking juice collector will save steaming liquid with any lost nutrients so you can add this back into purees to adjust the texture also.
150g Broccoli Florets and 150g Cauliflower Florets
150g Carrot and 150g Sweet Potato
150g Pear, 150g Parsnip and 1 Pinch of Cinnamon
1.Peel the carrots, sweet potato, pears and parsnips and chop into small pieces.
2.Fill the water tank and place the cooking water vessel on top
3.Fill the three steaming baskets with the vegetable combinations and place them on top of the water vessel on top of each other
4.Select the steam option and set a timer for 17 minutes
5.Carefully remove the baskets, you now have perfectly steamed finger foods
6.Select the blend option on the control panel, and select option 3
Add the vegetable combinations to the blender one at a time and use the reserved water from the water vessel which was collected throughout the steaming process to create a smooth consistency, rinse the blender out in between batches and add a pinch of cinnamon to the pear and parsnip combination
Store your purées and finger foods in Babybols and refrigerate or freeze them ready for any mealtime.
Recipe by @themummydiet_.
Want more like this?
Check out Food safety and Weaning Top Tips from our expert Jenna Brown, the Food Safety Mum. Find more from her @foodsafetymum via Instagram!